Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

I've always heard of Tom Waits, but I've never actually listened to Tom Waits. I guess the time has come to do so. I've actually been listening to this album for the past week or so, but haven't written about it yet due to being still ill. I think I was in a coma or something. I know, I know, it's serious. Here is the long-awaited (well, for some of you) review for Rain Dogs.



When I first heard Rain Dogs start off, I felt as though I had entered a circus or carnival. I was surprised about this because I hadn't anticipated leaving my car to see clowns, bearded ladies, or Karnov breathing fire. That's what Singapore sounds like to me. Either that or Insomniac with Dave Attell. The second song, Clap Hands, is something I should have heard before. I think this is one of my favourites on this record. The best point in the song is when I realized where Radiohead got the lyric:
"We all went to heaven in a little rowboat"
I never knew that's where it came from. One of my favourite songs ever (Pyramid Song) wouldn't have been the same if it wasn't for that song.

The next song, Cemetery Polka, takes me from that circus I was at earlier, to a pirate ship. I wasn't sure how I made that transition, but I don't think I minded too much. This song makes me want to grab a mug of grog, wear a puffy shirt, and shout insults at people while waving a sword. Maybe not all of those things, but it is close. Very close. Arrrrrgggg...
After letting go of being a pirate comes another song I had to mention, I won't mention every song, but this one is especially smooth sounding. Jockey Full Of Bourbon is the name, don't wear it out. The guitar is simply incredible. A smooth surf sound to it, but much darker than just that. A bit like Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet (that's right, I name dropped them) only darker, and with words.

Listening further into the record, I realized Amnesiac (one of my favourites of all time) may not have been real if this whole album wasn't created. The sound of the song Tango Till They're Sore reeks of the wonderfully familiar horns heard in Life In A Glass House. The "New Orleans Funeral Song" sound as I've heard it referred to. The broken piano intro to it really changes your mood to conform to the song. That's right, you're going to get into it. You have no choice.

On Big Black Mariah, I expected for him to bust out some skat skills. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't happen. Oh well, maybe on another record. The song has a nice jazzy feel to it, like something you would hear when you walk in a jazz club where you don't belong. Silly wizard, hipsters don't belong in jazz clubs.

Blah blah blah, I promised these reviews wouldn't be too long. This is definitely different from what I've reviewed so far, but such a nice change. I really enjoyed listening to it. It has a gritty, real feel to it. Not a perfect sound, it's not supposed to be perfect, nothing should be. I do believe I'll pick up some more of his recordings some day.


Two favourite tracks:
Tango Till They're Sore
Gun Street Girl

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I've never listened to Tom Waits before....now I think I'll give them a shot =)

    ReplyDelete