Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Automatic


"the DJ never has it, JAMC Automatic"
"do you remember the JAMC? And reading aloud from magazines"


Since I listened to the two songs I quoted above recently, I thought I should probably finally listen to "The JAMC". I'm very ignorant, so I didn't know that it was referencing The Jesus And Mary Chain. I've heard of them before plenty, but just not in abbreviated form. I went shopping today to cheer me up, and found Automatic used for only $7. What a deal.


Upon first listen I felt that I liked it. It has an '80's sound to it, and I like that. It sounds like it could be a soundtrack to a John Hughes film, but it also has a sound that makes it feel like it's better than just that. I didn't really read much into JAMC or this album before I picked it up today, but I saw a few things say that it's not their most popular. After a listen, I'm not sure why that would be. It's pretty catchy and poppy, but with a slight angst in it. I'm pretty sure if it was released this year you wouldn't be able to tell much difference to the year it was made, even with that '80's sound to it.

The first listen I gave it was while I was driving around after going to the record store (Underground Sounds). That is one of my favourite things to do when I get a new CD. Too bad I can't do that with records. I'd say this is a pretty good driving album. It has some good energy to it, almost like it could be played in its entirety in a club. Good transitions from song to song, and it doesn't jump around with sounds too much. Not to say everything sounds the same, but it stays consistent to an album flow.

Two favourite tracks:
Her Way Of Praying
Half Way To Crazy


No comments:

Post a Comment