Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

In an effort, to make an attempt to, following a good old college try, I will persevere to recognize Valentine's Day by bringing you My Bloody Valentine's - Loveless. The title which sums up my holiday-filled Saturday and my past few hundred standard Saturdays. I promise this to not be a bitter review, just filled with a few jokes poking fun of those who are, for lack of a better term and also because it's the record I'm listening to, Loveless. Enjoy. Or not, it is entirely up to you. I am just telling you what I think. So there.


As soon as I hit play on good ol' Mr. Bill (my current iPod ever since Thomas had a heart attack), I was hit with a barrage of sound. This record certainly makes you aware of its presence from the get go, and you better hit dance mode within 25 seconds. After that you can mellow out, but don't do that for long. You will not even want to. It kicks right into those sounds and noises after the first verse. The first song is titled Only Shallow, in case you were wondering. If you were not wondering, then that is fine with me. I won't force you to think of the names of songs. I just would like you to know that the first song abruptly goes into the second one. My only complaint about the first song is that I wish it would go on longer. That noise is just so spectactular to hear.

I really wasn't sure why this came up in my iTunes as "Shoegazing" music, but after a few listens I can see why. After reading a bit into this genre of music I've never heard of before, I see that I like a lot of bands recognized as shoegazers. It's a style of music where, well, you gaze at your shoes. So to speak. Er, so to type. Kind of that swaying sound where you just hear smooth noise that is chaotic and melodic to the point where you are just losing all interest in anything that anyone ever did except for what you are hearing right then and there. Yeah. The best songs to example that feeling on this record are To Here Knows When, I Only Said, and Sometimes. Screw it, almost the whole album is like that. This is just a solid album all the way through.

I realize pretty much everything ever needing to be said about this record has already been said. So I'll stop here. Go buy this record/CD, listen to it while you are banging your significant other on Valentine's Day, and enjoy the rest of the week.


Two favourite tracks:
To Here Knows When
Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment