Monday, February 9, 2009

Oasis - Definitely Maybe


I've really only listened to What's The Story? (Morning Glory) from the Oasis discography, so I'm not really too familiar with them. I picked up this CD yesterday along with a few others I thought I might enjoy. I'm going to give it a whirl and jot down what I think about it while I'm listening to it.





It's starting out kind of average. Just getting past the first song (Rock 'n' Roll Star) and it drags on a little bit long at the end, but it's not too bad of a song. I'm pretty sure I've heard this second song before somewhere (Shakermaker), the beginning sounds really familiar. The sound is different from the first song, but still maintains a certain feel to the album so far. Going into the third song (Live Forever) it sounds like it's mellowing out a little, and has a pretty good sound to it. Not too low, not too high, just in between. A cool track.

Picks up a bit on the fourth track (Up In The Sky) right from the start. Pretty upbeat and poppy with some nice vocals. I like this one pretty well so far, even with the creepy line "How does it feel when you're inside me?". The fifth song (Columbia) starts out a lot differently than the other tracks. It has some crazy guitar noises that are sharp and electronic sounding, yet soft and smooth. I think it's my favourite intro to a song so far on this record. A little heavier sounding than the others, but still has a sound consistent with the record. Even with being the second longest song on the record, I didn't really notice the length. Vocals and guitars on this song are great together. Probably my favourite so far.

Supersonic is the sixth song on the CD and sounds like it's the hit. In fact, I just looked up and it's the first single they released. I didn't know that before listening to this. It does sound like the strongest song to be picked for a single (so far, I have 5 songs to go). Bring It Down picks up the pace again and is a pretty jammin' song (did I just use the word 'jammin'?). A bit faster than the others and yeah, pretty much just rocks. The next song, Cigarettes & Alcohol, almost starts out like Bang A Gong (Get It On) by T. Rex. I like that. It keeps that type of sound throughout the song and is pretty catchy. Probably one of my top picks on the record.

Digsy's Dinner kicks off the last three songs of the record and is considerably more poppy than the other tracks. Not to say that's a bad thing, but doesn't seem like it should follow the previous track. Poppy and catchy, but seems weaker than the other tracks. The next song is Slide Away and comes in as the longest on the record at 6:33. For some reason, I always expect a lot out of longer songs. With that much time, there better be substance. Seems like a good song, but not an epic one. I have no problem with that. The last song is Married With Children and it starts out with a cool sound to it. A nice smooth sound to end the record with, a top track in my book.

Overall I liked this record. Pretty good changes in it, but doesn't go way off track. Good all-around listen.

Two favourite tracks:
Columbia - tied with Cigarettes & Alcohol
Married With Children

2 comments:

  1. If you like this album, you'll definitely like their new album Dig Out Your Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lori (yeah, @, twitter style) I picked that up a few months ago and listened to it for a bit. I played it when I was eating lunch today too. It's a fairly good album. I'll have to get their other stuff too.

    ReplyDelete