Thursday, March 12, 2009

Steve Martin - Let's Get Small

I'm still trying to think of how I'm going to write about this record, but I guess I like to start out by doing one thing that is impossible. Steve Martin is such a genius and a legend that it will be hard to begin describing why that is so. It just is so. Deal with that.



Let's Get Small is of course Steve Martin's first and only record. The label only pressed 11 copies on vinyl due to lack of interest. I was fortunate enough to find one while in Atlanta at a great little place called Wax N Facts. He was only 12 and a half when he wrote and recorded this record and it was only performed once before an audience of his immediate family. Such a shame that this talented comedian's life came to an end when a savage fan shot an arrow through Steve's head. This is captured on the cover artwork, even though the record label tried to hide this by superimposing a balloon animal over his head. What a tragic end to his life. He will always be remembered by the Martin family.


But seriously folks...
I played side B for my parents earlier today and my dad was telling me how when he first heard it he really didn't think Steve Martin would catch on with people. I'm very happy to say he was incorrect. It starts out with Steve playing the banjo, which is actually quite incredible. He is a very talented banjo player. Banjoist?

After the banjo playing he states to the audience that he likes to start out by doing one thing that is impossible. So he decides to suck a piano into his lungs. Since this is a record, I could not see it happen. Though by the sound of the audience I could tell it was a sight to see. Steve asks the people in the audience how much they paid to get in the show. "Four dollars?" This is strange since that is exactly what I paid for the record. Well, I had to pay tax and everything, but you get the idea. It was fate that put the $4 price sticker on the record.

Overall this is a great record. It will make you laugh, cry, and everything in between. Even if you don't like his minimalistic approach to music, it is great. It's a raw, live, rough cut, but very well played. Highly recommended, but only if you have the ability to laugh.



Two favourite quotes:
"Mind if I smoke? No, mind if I fart?"
"...and I really didn't want to drive her home, so I shot her."

2 comments:

  1. it's not his first and only record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading his book, Born Standing up. A great read if you enjoy his work, with several chapters dedicated to his continual development that comes out in this particular record. A veritable comic genius.

    ReplyDelete